- Metric and US Customary units
- Data saved to a file automatically
- Use any timestep
- Hover help available for text entry
- Help screens linked to current activity
- Robust error detection and recovery - crash free operation
- Automatic prompts for next step
- Test designs under different storms in Automatic mode
- Design proceeds in logical interactive manner
- Hydrograph details visible during design process
- Drainage network can be of any size (ie. unlimited nodes)
- Use hydrographs generated with any other software package
4 Huff quartile design storms
Mass rainfall distribution curve
Canada Atmospheric Environment Service storms
User defined Historic storm
Storms hyetographs can also be saved and imported
- SCS CN
- Green & Ampt
- Runoff coefficient can also be used
Overland flow models:
- Triangular SCS
- SWMM method
- Linear reservoir
Lag & Route
- Very large catchments can be modelled as single area
- Lag times for hypothetical reservoir and channel used
- Add any constant base-flow rate to a hydrograph
File input / output:
- All design data saved to output file
- Output file can be used for Automatic input
- Junction and diversion hydrographs saved to file
- Runoff and rainfall files can be saved and imported
Hyetograph / Hydrograph display:
- Quick graphic displays are automatic
- Grids and cross hairs under user control
- Graph colours and styles can be changed.
- Customized graph can include rainfall and runoff and annotations
- Customized graph can be printed, imported or saved as BMP file
The drainage network is designed as a tree network proceeding
from the sources to the downstream point of discharge. Flows
from multiple tributaries can be accumulated at confluence points
from which the total flow can be recovered for design.
Multiple confluence junctions can exist simultaneously and
independently. Diversion structures can define flows extracted
from the main network and which can be subsequently recovered for
separate treatment (eg. major - minor flow analysis)
- Partial flow analysis for peak hydrograph flow
- Design for a specified flow rate also possible
- Feasible diameter grade values automatically displayed
- Hydraulic gradient reported for surcharged flow
- Pipe roughness defined by Mannings 'n'
- General trapezoidal shape defined by a base width and left and
- Arbitrary shape defined by up to 50 pairs of coordinates.
- Table of depth, gradient, velocity values is displayed
- Complex shapes can be drawn and refined by editing
- Channel roughness defined by Mannings 'n'
- Kinematic routing uses modified Muskingham-Cunge method
- Timestep and reach length automitically adjusted
- Numerical stability ensured for nonlinear cases
- Automatic storage requirements computed
- Stage-storage computed for standard shapes
- Outflow control device can use multiple orifices and weirs
- Timestep adjusted for numerical stability
- Includes parking lot, superpipe and rooftop storage
- Up to 50 stages
- Separates inflow into outflow and ground water recharge
- Cross section can include multiple pipes
- User defined media and soil characteristics
- Separates inflow into outflow and diverted hydrographs
- Diverted fraction can be explicit or implied by peak outflow
- Diverted hydrograph saved as file
- Diverted flows can be imported for later design
(c) Copyright 1984-2023 Alan A. Smith Inc.
Terms and Conditions
There are videos
available to help you use MIDUSS.
How about a quick MIDUSS review in 180 seconds or
less? We know your time is valuable.
Click here for the fast
College or University faculty?
Please see our academic
page for our low price offer.
If you are interested in the
hydrological or hydraulic theory built into MIDUSS
You have a custom version of MIDUSS distributed through
Find out more information about the custom Malaysia storms.